- federation of coffee cooperatives bringing together 2,300 farming families in Nicaragua
- promotes organic cultivation, training and technical assistance for farmers
- supplies green coffee directly to Oxfam
« Only by organising ourselves through Prodecoop can we tackle the challenges we currently face. It’s a great help to us as farmers, to know with certainty beforehand how much coffee we will be able to sell and for what price. »
— José Alfredo Zeledón, Chairman of Cooperativa, one of the member cooperatives
Joining forces to export coffee
Prodecoop helps smallholders to produce coffee and bring it to market. The professionally led cooperative federation groups 38 coffee-producing cooperatives from the region surrounding Estelí and Palacagüina in Nicaragua. Since 1993 the organisation has given approximately 2,300 farming families the opportunity to sell their coffee around the world.
The organisation is 100% fair trade. What’s more, half of the coffee is certified organic. Each year the organisation exports 30,000 150-pound (68-kilo) sacks of fair-trade coffee.
Fair-trade coffee accelerates development in Nicaragua
Prodecoop collects the fair-trade coffee from its member cooperatives, prepares it for export and then sells it.
In addition to this, it arranges training courses and technical assistance for its members. Prodecoop also provides loans and legal advice to members. Additional investments are made possible by the fair trade premium, such as:
- projects to improve the quality of the coffee;
- support for coffee growers who make the switch to organic production methods;
- educational grants for the children of coffee producers.
Prodecoop & Oxfam
You can taste the fair-trade coffee from Prodecoop in various Oxfam Fair Trade coffee blends.
At the moment we sell 7 products from this partner:
Showing all 7 results